Category Archives: quilts

Handmade Christmas

For my littlest niece

The tote bags are done (finally) and the Christmas quilting has begun.  I have three nieces, and they are all getting quilts for Christmas.  I have had the tops done for a few months, but I have really procrastinated on getting the quilting and binding done.

This is the first one completed.  I love how bright and fun this is.  My middle niece is the smallest of the three girls.  She is such a petite little thing, so bright and happy.  This is perfect for her.  I used a flannel back on it for extra warmth.  They live in a very cold climate and she will love wrapping up in this.

The quilting is almost done on the second quilt, and the third quilt is basted and ready to quilt.  I still think I can get these done in time to ship out for Christmas delivery.  Wish me luck!

Ignorance Is…

Pretty!

You can fill in the blank!  Here’s how an unfortunate set of mistakes led to a fortunate result!

Most people who know me, know that I am…hmmm…well, mathematically challenged.  And I am particularly challenged in measurements.  This has resulted in a number of interesting choices in lengths of fabric to buy — sometimes too much, sometimes too little.  Also some serious miscalculations in the number/size of blocks needed for a quilt.  In part, this is why I embrace art quilts…very little measuring involved!

This length of fabric was meant to be Exercise 1 in Jane Dunnewold’s book, Complex Cloth.  (By the way, this is an awesome book and if you are at all interested in surface design I highly recommend you get this.)  In this exercise, you are to immersion dye the fabric, discharge, overdye, and stamp the fabric.  So I measured out the water and chemicals, added the dye powder and dyed the fabric a really lovely light blue.

After I washed it out, I thought that the dye didn’t penetrate the fabric like it should, but it was a nice result so I moved on to step 2.  This step is to discharge the fabric with household bleach.  (Discharging removes the dye.)  I don’t like the smell of bleach, and I found a bleach pen in my drawer so I just used that.  It didn’t work…the design I drew with the bleach pen on the fabric did not discharge.

So I just moved on to step 3, overdying the fabric.  Again I mixed up the chemicals, added the dye powder and dyed the fabric.  About three hours later, I looked at my dye bucket, then looked at a 5 gallon bucket, and looked again.  I was only using 2 gallons of water instead of 4 gallons in my dye solution.  What happens is that the fabric does not have enough room to move around, so the dye doesn’t penetrate the fabric evenly.

I pulled this fabric out of the dye bath, washed it out, and I love it!  I can do Exercise 1 some other time.  In the meantime I am going to enjoy my ignorance!

 

Dry Spell

It’s been crazy busy around here this week.  Shuffling cars around, doing some extra computer work, car broke down, holiday food coma hangover…you name it.  Lots of things that needed to get done, like food shopping, put off until they can’t be put off any more.

So from a studio standpoint, all this adds up to a dry spell.  Tea cozies and coasters half made on the sewing table, pattern set to be drafted set aside, and the studio needs CLEANED UP!  Got a little bit of knitting in but that’s about it. There may be some potential for the tea cozies and coasters in an Etsy shop…so making some multiples to see how they come out and how long it takes to put them together.

Did manage to get a vintage quilt top quilted up but that’s about it.  Hopefully will have some finished product to show you soon!